The File Manager interface allows cPanel users to manage and edit their files.
The File Manager Directory Selection window
When you open the File Manager interface, perform the following steps:
- The File Manager Directory Selection window will appear. Select which of the four main directories you wish to view in the file window:
- Home Directory (
- Web Root (
- Public FTP Root (
- Document Root (
- If you wish to see hidden files, select the Show Hidden Files checkbox.
- If you do not wish to see the File Manager Directory Selection window again, select the Skip this question checkbox.
- Click Go.
The File Manager interface opens in a new browser window. The selected directory will display in the file window.
The File Manager toolbar shows the following functions to manage your files:
Select a directory
You can use the file tree or the location text box to navigate your files and folders.
There are several ways you can use the file tree (located to the left of the file window) to browse your files:
- Click on the name of the folder you wish to view
- Click on the next to the icon to view a list of subfolders in that folder.
- You can click on the next to an expanded directory to collapse it.
To use the location text box directly above the file tree, perform the following steps:
- Enter the path of the folder you wish to view.
- Click Go. The file window will display the contents of the chosen folder.
The file window
The file window displays the contents of the selected directory. If there are no files or folders in the selected folder, the file window will display the message "This directory is empty."
Information about files and subfolders will display in the following columns:
||Files will display an icon that corresponds to the file type. Folders will display the icon.
||The size of the file.
||The date and time the file was last modified.
||The media (MIME) type and subtype.
||The permissions setting for the file. The default permission setting is